Are you searching for the best long tail keyword research tools in 2018? You’re in the right place.
Hands down, long tail SEO keyword research is the key to more search traffic and sales.
Unfortunately, there are a ton of keyword research tools out there all claiming the best. LOL!
Luckily, I’ve tried almost all the keyword research tools ranging from free to paid, so I put together a list of top 5 best long tail keyword research tools in this post. So let’s get started with the basic question.
What are long tail keywords?
In simple terms, long tail keywords are search phrases that contain 3 or more words.
For ex: “best fitness apps” is a 3 word long tail keyword
Usually, the more words a keyword phrase contain, the more specific it is.
For ex: “best fitness apps for Yoga instructors in Goa” is a 8 word loooong tail keyword (which is easier to rank for btw and you can only bring targeted specific audience using that kind of keyword).
Did you know that 70% of search queries on Google or long tail keywords?
Why should you use long tail keywords?
If you are still thinking about why you need to do long tail keyword research, here are few benefits.
- Less competition when compared to other keywords
- Easier to rank for (you can get first page results without backlinks if you pick super low competition keywords)
- Long tail keywords send you highly qualified traffic (for highly targeted keywords)
Now that you know what long tail keywords are, along with their benefits, let’s now get into the details of finding the best long tail keyword research tools you can use in 2018 and beyond.
5 of the Best Long Tail Keyword Research Tools for Bloggers
Hands down SEMrush is one of the widely used keyword research tools by SEOs and marketers worldwide. If you had to pick only one tool from the list of best keyword research tools, pick this one.
SEMrush has over 800 million keywords in its databases which helps you find a ton of profitable keyword ideas no matter what industry you are in.
Features of SEMrush Keyword Magic Tool:
Here are some of the features that SEMrush keyword magic tool offers.
- Select keywords from over 2 million keyword ideas
- You can use “Keyword Grouping” to segment your keywords by topic
- Pick the best keywords and save them in Keyword Analyzer
- Export your selected keywords
- Create up to 50 target keyword lists
How to find long tail keywords using SEMrush keyword magic tool?
Here’s how you can use SEMrush keyword magic tool for finding long tail keywords for your websites in 2018.
Step 1: Login to SEMrush (here’s a free trial of SEMrush) and click on “Keyword Magic Tool” under Keyword Analytics section.
Step 2: Now enter any keyword of your choice into the search bar of SEMrush keyword magic tool.
In the above example, I entered a keyword “books like harry potter” and when you click on the Search button on SEMrush keyword magic tool, it instantly shows you a ton of useful long tail keyword phrases related to it.
Here’s the list of long tail keywords.
Step 3: Pick the keywords with really less search volume so you can get first page rankings on Google with ease.
If you see the above example, you can notice the keyword phrases which are highlighted have really less search volume so you can target those keywords to start getting more traffic from search engines.
That’s the beauty of using Keyword Magic Tool from SEMrush for doing keyword research: it’s fast and easy!
So what are you waiting for?
Give a try to SEMrush once and start finding long tail keywords to attract more visitors from search engines like Google.
Pros of SEMrush:
Here are the pros of using SEMrush keyword magic tool.
- You can get access to over 2 million keyword ideas no matter what industry you are in
- Use Keyword Grouping to segment your keyword ideas by topic so you can easily organise them for later use
- Pick the best keywords and save them in Keyword Analyzer for later access
- You can also export your selected keywords to other SEMrush tools
- You can create up to 50 target keyword lists
Cons of SEMrush:
Here are the cons of using SEMrush keyword magic tool.
- You need to get access to SEMrush in order to use keyword magic tool (SEMrush is an all in one SEO tools which costs you around $100 per month for starter plan but it’s worth every penny)
- I personally find the data from SEMrush is not so accurate (especially search volume metrics)
SEMrush has 3 pricing plans which are listed below.
- Pro starts at $99.95 monthly
- Guru starts at $199.95 monthly
- Business starts at $399.95 monthly
#2. Ahrefs Keywords Explorer
I love Ahrefs for one reason: it gives accurate results. If you’re looking for an effective keyword research tool, Ahrefs should be your first choice as it provides you keyword phrases with accurate search volume.
Features of Ahrefs Keywords Explorer tool
Here are some of the features of Ahrefs keywords explorer.
- Get thousands of potential long tail keyword ideas with accurate search volume
- Find out keyword difficulty score for each keyword
- Get access to all the keyword metrics like Clicks, Return rate, Parent topics etc
How to find long tail keywords using Ahrefs Keywords Explorer tool?
I made a quick video tutorial on how you can use Ahrefs Keywords explorer tool for finding tons of keyword ideas for your website. Do watch it and let me know if you like the video tutorial so I’ll consider doing more of them in the future :)
Pros of Ahrefs tool:
Here are the pros of using Ahrefs keywords explorer tool.
- Track keyword positions easily
- Accurate search volume for the keywords
- A ton of keyword metrics such as keyword difficulty, related searches, questions etc to make your keyword research easier and faster
Cons of Ahrefs tool:
Here are the cons of using Ahrefs keywords explorer tool.
- I don’t see any cons in Ahrefs except premium pricing (but it’s worth every penny)
So what about the pricing of Ahrefs keywords explorer tool, how much does it cost?
Ahrefs has 4 pricing plans which are listed below.
- Lite (costs you $99 per month, best suited for starters where you can track up to 300 keywords and you can batch analysis up to 100 keywords at one go along with backlink analysis, web mentions etc)
- Standard (costs you $179 per month, best suited for bloggers where you can track up to 1000 keywords and you can batch analysis up to 250 keywords at one go along with backlink analysis, web mentions etc)
- Advanced (costs you $399 per month, best suited for SEOs and small businesses where you can track up to 4000 keywords and you can batch analysis up to 500 keywords at one go along with backlink analysis, web mentions etc)
- Agency (costs you $999 per month best suited for big agencies where you can give access to 5 users)
If you’re looking for a free long tail keyword research tool, this one is for you where you can generate up to 750 long tail keywords for free.
Features of Keyword Tool
- Free version of Keyword Tool generates up to 750+ long-tail keyword suggestions
- It is very reliable
- You can use this tool completely for free, even without creating an account
How to use keyword tool for finding long tail keywords?
Step 1: Go to their website and enter any keyword of your choice.
Step 2: It instantly gives you a ton of highly relevant and useful long tail keyword ideas for your search term.
Unlike most of the other free keyword research tools like Keyword Planner, this tool gives you accurate and highly relevant long tail keywords for your search terms (just have a look at the highlighted keywords in the above screenshot).
Step 3: Find “questions” relevant to your search term
You can also use this tool to find all the relevant questions which people are asking on Google to get answers. Just click on “Questions” and you’ll find a ton of them that you can use to get more traffic from search.
Pros of keywordtool.io:
- No account needed! Free to use.
- You can find a ton of highly relevant long tail keywords for your search term
- The ability to find “questions” related to your search term
Cons of keywordtool.io:
- Free version is limited (no search volume data is provided)
Although this tool is absolutely free to use (no need to even create an account to use!) but it also offers pro version (the pricing start at $48 per month and go all the way up to $88 per month) where you can get search volume data and two times more keywords.
Ubersuggest is another fantastic free keyword research tool for beginners by Neil Patel which helps you easily find a ton of keyword ideas. It’s a must use keyword research tool if you want to find a dozens of potential long tail keyword ideas.
Features of Ubersuggest
Here are the features of Wordtracker;
- Search volume
- SEO competition metrics
- Related/lateral search
- Negative keyword search
How to use Ubersuggest for long tail keyword research?
Step 1: Click here to visit the tool and enter a keyword of your choice;
Step 2: Find those keywords which contain 4 or more words (long tail keywords) with decent search volume as shown in the above illustration.
Step 3: Again, do the research on those selected long tail keywords to find more relevant keywords you can use within your content to generate more traffic. For example, when I enter “affordable web hosting” (highlighted above), the tool is showing us even more results which looks like this;
As you can see from the above image, you can easily find a ton of really low competitive long tail keywords as you dig into your keyword research with Ubersuggest.
Pros of Ubersuggest:
- Lots of keyword ideas
- Free to use
- Provides search volume and CPC
- Fast and accurate results
Cons of Ubersuggest:
- Doesn’t include features like keyword difficulty, competitive analysis etc
It’s completely free to use. There are no limits on how many times you use within a day either. So go ahead and make the most out of this amazing free keyword research tool from Neil Patel.
#5. Google Autosuggest
Hands down, the most easiest and fastest way to find long tail keywords is to use Google Autosuggest. The best part? No matter what industry you are in, you’ll still get autocomplete keyword suggestions for your desired keywords.
Features of Google Autosuggest keyword research tool
- Free to use
- Easily find out what other people are searching for including trending stories
- Gives you instant keyword suggestions related to your search phrase as you type
How to use Google Autosuggest for finding long tail keywords?
Just start typing the keywords relevant to your industry and Google autosuggest starts giving you the relevant and trending topic keyword ideas you need.
- Completely free
- Designed by Google itself (so it knows what are the trending searches for your search terms)
- Get instant keyword ideas
- Apart from keyword ideas, it gives you nothing (no keyword difficulty, no volume metrics and so on)
Conclusion about using the best long tail keyword research tools for beginners in 2018
No matter how much content you create, it’s almost impossible to get higher rankings on Google without using long tail keywords within your content. Long tail keyword research is so important when it comes to getting more traffic from search engines like Google.
So did you find the list of long tail keyword research tools useful? Did I miss any of your favorite keyword research tools? Share your thoughts in the comments.